Jan 21, 2009

Recommendation - Get yourself the new Antony and the Johnsons album.


First - The man has really outdone himself with album art. That image really sticks with me, I dunno about you. I find it pretty terrifying in a "but i can see why he probably thinks it's beautiful" sort of way.

Secondy - This album is beautiful! Antony's warble might take a few listens to get used to, but believe me, it's rewarding. One of my all-time favorite vocalists. He sings like the saddest angel you can imagine. The piano, as usual, is excellent. The string arrangements are georgous. AND unlike his last album, there are no guest vocalists, which is something I consider a slight improvement. As much as I LOVE "I am a bird now", and as much as I love Boy George and Lou Reed, I found the constant guest appearances just a bit distracting. I'm hesitant to call it his best album (though I just might after a few more listens), but it's easily AS good as either of his others, with several stand-out tracks, and it's a pretty decent place to start if you've never heard him. Yeah, check it out.

No comments: