Feb 1, 2009

Jagjaguwar/ODAWAS

At the moment, Jagjaguwar is probably my favorite record label. I don't think I've ever heard a jagjaguwar release that wasn't at least worth hearing. (seriously, look at this roster: http://jagjaguwar.com/roster.php)
AND it seems like every single year a significant portion of my favorite albums of the year are released by them.
2007 had Besnard Lakes - Are The Dark Horse, Sunset Rubdown - Random Spirit Lover, Minus Story - My Ion Truss, Okkervil River - The Stage Names, Lightning Dust's Self Titled, and the criminally underheard Alex Delivery - Star Destroyer
2008 had Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago, Parts & Labor - Recievers, Okkervil River(again) - The Stand-Ins, Black Mountain - In The Future, Ladyhawk - Shots, and Women's Self Titled debut
(plus tons of other really quality releases)

AAANND it looks like 2009 will be no different.
On a beautiful sunday afternoon like today, I can't think of a better soundtrack than the gorgeous ODAWAS track "Harmless Lover's Discourse" from their upcomming 02/17/09 jagjag release "The Blue Depths"(check it out here: http://jagjaguwar.com/onesheet.php?cat=JAG138).

These guys hover somewhere between M83 and band of horses with their dreamy vocal melodies and not-quite-80s electronics. This one is going to be on heavy rotation for me this spring, and I for one cannot wait for it to come out!

No comments: