Mar 6, 2009

Current Music Obsessions.

I'm sitting here at the store and I'm thinking about how much amazing music has been released this year and it's only March. I'm normally music-obsessed, but so many great things have come out recently and seeing as how I can't put my "recommended by Vanessa" card on everything in the store, I figured I'd write a blog to share my current obsessions with you.

Julie Doiron, I Can Wonder What You Did With Your Day:
The last time I listened to Ms. Doiron was a few years back when I first heard of her and downloaded (gasp!) a free track from Pitchfork. Earlier this week, a friend of mine recommended her new album to me, describing it as "simple and hopeful." The opening track, "The Life of Dreams," sucked me in with it's whimsical tone and beautifully simple lyrics. The second track, "Spill Yer Lungs," is twice as nice (yes, I said it) with a heavier guitar sound, which is never a bad thing in my mind. I love her voice and her knack for capturing experiences perfectly within her lyrics. Musicians like Julie Doiron are the reasons behind me wanting to learn to play a guitar...but, that's besides the point. This is going to be the perfect album to listen to this spring/summer while laying on a blanket at Liberty Park.

Various Artists, Dark Was The Night:
So, sure I was excited about the potential for this compilation. It's chock full of all the "hottest" indie names like Feist, Grizzly Bear, Ben Gibbard, Sufjan Stevens, Bon Iver, etc. I had this compilation sitting on my computer for about two weeks before I decided to give it a listen. I am sooooooo glad I did. After multiple listens, I've grown particularly fond of a few songs including Dave Sitek's "With A Girl Like You," Yeasayer's "Tightrope," and The National's "So Far Around The Bend."

Sholi, s/t:
I think everyone knows by now that I'm not the best at explaining music in technical, or even musical, terms. I'm that girl that describes music through feelings, experiences or by referencing a similar band. So, that being said, I have no idea how to describe Sholi, but I like them. I did some "research" and found that most music resources (aka-blogs) are referring to their sound as "avant-rock." Click here to read a review from Paste Magazine, if my explanation (or lack of) wasn't enough for you.

Other things I'm loving:

Casiotone For the Painfully Alone, Advance Base Battery Life:
Jams= "It's a Crime" and "Hot Boyz"

Vetiver, Tight Knit
Jams= "More Of This" and "Another Reason To Go"

Dan Auerbach, Keep It Hid
Jams= "I Want Some More and "When The Night Comes"

Spend some of your free time at Slowtrain this weekend and check out some new stuff!

1 comment:

Jonathan Paul Doerr said...

All of these albums are SICK!! "Hot Boyz" is definitely the jam off of the new Casiotone.