Jul 15, 2009

MUSIC OBSESSIONS AT THE MOMENT

There are two musical artists that I just can't get enough of the past week, the first being Cass McCombs. I've been playing his newest record, Catacombs, at the store every day since I found a play copy. Catacombs is full of simple folk songs with beautiful and heartfelt lyrics. I've never been a huge fan of McCombs, but this album is different for me- it seems more focused and stripped down than his last album. I highly recommend it. Here's the video for my favorite song, titled "You Saved My Life," off the new album.



A San Francisco based band called Girls, is my other current music obsession. I was introduced to them by a friend, who showed me the video for their song "Hellhole Ratrace," which I've posted below. I immediately fell in love with the song and it's sentimental lyrics and catchy pop undertones. Girls don't have an album out yet, but they are due to release one sometime in the near future (who knows what that means?). I'm interested to hear more from these guys.

3 comments:

Jon said...

"Hellhole Ratrace" is such a good song! All of the stuff Girls is putting out is gold.

Anna said...

Is it weird that I get a little teary-eyed when they start dancing in the Cass McCombs video? I think I need more sleep...

Vanessa said...

Not weird at all. It's sort of beautiful, isn't it?