Oct 8, 2009

LOCAL SPOTLIGHT

Since moving to SLC and opening our own business Chris and I have seen the light. We are now pretty much pushers of all things Local First. And rightfully so, how can we expect folks to buy music from us and not Target/Wal-Mart/iTunes/etc if we don't put our money where our mouth is?

Not to mention that by shopping locally we're keeping tax dollars here in Utah and helping to preserve the great atmosphere that local shops provide. And we're keeping friends and customers employed and therefore they are more likely to spend money on music at Slowtrain. You see how this works, right? It is a win-win situation. As a bonus feature, shopping locally has proved to be a much nicer experience overall. Customer service is better, the staff is generally more knowledgeable and helpful. And who doesn't want a pleasant experience when spending money? I know I do.

So what I'm getting at here is that I'd like to share with you some of my Local First finds. You know, ways that we've recently shifted our spending and how it has improved our lives. I hope that maybe you'll be encouraged to do the same or maybe share some of your own local shopping experiences in the comments. Currently I'm bursting with awesome experiences we've had, but I'm going to limit my posting so I don't run out of material. So here we goooo!

TONY CAPUTO'S MARKET AND DELI:
Caputo's is probably not news to most of our readers. Since we moved here 3 years ago we've been eating their sandwiches from the deli regularly. But this summer we started shopping at their market weekly for as many of our grocery items as possible.

We bought cheese, lunch meat, pasta, cookies, crackers, beef, eggs, greens, and more. I remember the first time we went in there shop; I was prepared to spend a little more money just to support a local store. Surprisingly we ended up saving money and discovered some incredible food too.

If you make sandwiches for lunch, their deli meat is the best I've had. They have eggs and greens and beef from local farmers. They even offer gelatto from Cafe D'bolla - all made locally (the passion fruit is amazing)! And honestly, Caputo's customer service is unbeatable. Each time I leave the market I think about how I can take their helpful and positive attitude back to Slowtrain with me, because they've perfected it. Don't be afraid to ask for help or suggestions, you'll be glad you did in the end.

An additional tip: We often swing by Carlucci's right next door to grab a fresh Italian loaf, some of the best bread I've had.

So the lesson here is to give the market a spin and try and work it into your routine. Maybe try it once a month - just switching your spending to give Caputo's Market $50 of your grocery budget each month can make a HUGE impact. Plus it'll help expand your food horizons. If you give it a try, let us know how it goes...

No comments: