Oct 28, 2009

NEW RELEASE RUNDOWN

Okay, I'm not as good at this new release blog as Vanessa, so I'm gonna keep it short and sweet. Well, short at least...let's hope for the latter.

Various Artists, Ciao My Shining Star: the songs of Mark Mulcahy
I'm a sucker for all things Thom Yorke, so it goes without saying that I was sold on this eclectic compilation as soon as the first track, "All For The Best" by Mr. Yorke, got underway. It also helps to follow that track up with an amazing version of "Ashamed Of The Story I Told" by The National. Knowing the purpose and story behind Ciao only makes this more of must have. Mark Mulcahy is a musician, mostly known for his work in the 90's with bands Polaris and Miracle Legion. This album is a tribute to his late wife and includes a touching note about who she was and what she meant to him which I won't destroy by paraphrasing here...you just need to read it. I almost think this album is worth buying just for the Dinosaur Jr. song on here. Seriously.

Devendra Banhart, What Will Be Will Be
His follow up to Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon is exactly what I needed to keep my love for Devendra growing. What Will Be is a pleasent return to his more upbeat side, and experiments with so many different genres that I tend to check the CD player often to make sure I'm still listening to the same album. There's even a song on here that makes me think I might like reggae after all. Hmmm...



MORE COOL STUFF OUT THIS WEEK:
The Swell Season - Strict Joy
Pelican - What We All Come To Need
Wolfmother - Cosmic Egg
R.E.M - Live At The Olympia

No comments: