Nov 19, 2009

CUSTOMER SPOTLIGHT

For this week's Customer Spotlight I asked two of our most loyal and awesome customers, Alex Henry and Brian Mawhinney, to talk to me a little bit about music. Both guys are usually in the store at least twice a week and are always sharing their musical knowlege with me. They are cool dudes.

This is Alex:

Alex works at the Broadway Theatre and has worked in a few record stores himself, which explains why he knows so much about music. He was recently in here telling me about how excited he was for the new Beak album. Apparently, Beak is a band created by multi-instrumentalist Geoff Barrow of Portishead. See? He is full of music knowledge!



This is Brian:

Brian is a real treat. He places special orders like crazy, picks them up promptly (thanks, dude!) and is an energetic and entertaining customer. He's always buying things that I've never even thought to listen to. I can always get an interesting music review from him. I think you'll be able to tell from his responses below that he gets a little worked up when it comes to music...



Tell me a little about what you bought today while you were in the store. Why did you pick those albums? Recommendations from friends? Heard about it on the radio? Tell me...

Alex:
I bought Rain Machine, purely because Kyp Malone is in that band and I think he's swell. I also got the new Kurt Vile album, mostly because I love the Stooges and anyone emulating them in any form. The last one I got was A Certain Feeling by Bodies of Water, this band's music reminds me of the best epic folkish bands from the 60's. I also have a poster of this album hanging up and felt horrible for not owning the album itself.

Brian:
The Clientele-The Violet Hour, I’ve loved this band the first time I heard them . . . 2 months ago. I plunged right into on their albums and this is will make my discography complete. Songs: Ohia-Didn’t It Rain, a few of my friends love Jason Molina so I decided to pull a Beyonce and “Check On It."

What are you listening to lately?

Alex:
I have been listening to Clinic almost exclusively for the past couple of weeks! I don't really know why, mostly because I love them and kinda forgot they were around. Also this band called Grampall Jookabox, most fun ever!

Brian:
I think I’ve listened to an album by The Clientele everyday for about two weeks. Lots of Elvis Costello lately, I’m glad I waited to get into him. Cut Chemist-The Audience’s Listening: I’m a sucker for ANY instrumental hip-hop. The Beach Boys-Surf’s Up: Just between you and me this album is better than Pet Sounds. Clinic-Internal Wrangler: I don’t know why I waited so long to get into this.

What are some of your favorite albums of the year?


Alex:

So far my favorites would have to be:
Embryonic by the Flaming Lips, Help by Thee Oh Sees, Fever Ray by Fever Ray, Face Control by the Handsome Furs, Bromst by Dan Deacon, Veckatimest by Grizzly Bear, Hazards of Love by the Decemberists, Intuit by Ramona Falls, Primary Colours by the Horrors, Never Better by P.O.S.

Brian:
Grizzly Bear-Veckatimest: This album made a casual Grizzly Bear fan into a loyal one. The Clientele-Bonfires on the Heath: Their liveliest album so far. Have I plugged them enough yet? Super Furry Animals-Dark Days/Light Years: Amazing, fun, adventurous. The only thing more consistently great than SFA are Pixar movies. Jarvis Cocker-Further Complications: That magnificent son of bitch somehow made an album better than his solo debut. Girls-Album: Believe the hype. All of it. Phoenix-Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix: Perhaps my favorite record of the year. The Horrors-Primary Colours: The best production of the year. “Sea Within a Sea” is fantastic and very repeatable.

Best live show so far this year?

Alex:
Dead Meadow! Also the shortest show of the year, they only played for half an hour because they got delayed somewhere. Still though, best half hour of live music this year. They were amazing! The crowd was really good too, only the true fans waited around until 1:45 or so when they finally went on.

Brian:

Modest Mouse at In The Venue: I’ve seen them three times and this was the best of the bunch. Girl Talk in Bozeman: Also saw Greg Gillis at Sasquatch!, but this was a smaller crowd. I wish I could see Mr. Gillis every week. Art Brut at Urban Lounge: Fun, fun, fun ‘til my daddy took the T-bird away

Tell me a few of your favorite albums of all time...

Alex:

That's a tough one, they change everyday. Right now some of them would be:
They Threw Us In a Ditch and Stuck a Monument On Top by Liars, Palo Santo by Shearwater, Five Leaves Left by Nick Drake, Odelay by Beck, Dr. No's Oxperiment by Oh No, In An Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel, Amnesiac by Radiohead, The Orchard by Fire On Fire, Building Nothing Out Of Something by Modest Mouse, Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By by Lovage

Brian:

Oi vey, what a difficult question. Here’s a few of my favorites:

Neil Young-Rust Never Sleeps: The best recording artist of all time. I also could’ve put On The Beach, Tonight’s The Night, Ragged Glory, American Stars ‘n Bars or any album he released in the 70’s or early 90’s. The Strokes-Is This It: I’d have horrible taste in music now if it wasn’t for this. The Stone Roses-The Stone Roses: The most fluid album to come out of Britain. RJD2-Deadringer: Once again I’m a sucker for instrumental hip-hop. The Zombies: Odessey and Oracle: It’s a shame they never released a proper follow-up, but they never could’ve topped this. Pulp-Different Class: Jarvis Cocker is my favorite lyricist. I cry every time I hear “Something Changed." The Kinks-Arthur: Their loosest work. I could’ve picked anything they put out from 1965-1971. The Clash-London Calling: Whenever asked the question I name this as my all-time favorite album.

Is that enough for you? Because I need to stop, I’ll never perfect this list. I can already see loads of holes (I didn’t even try and touch on The Beatles, Radiohead, Pixies, Arcade Fire, The White Stripes, Blur, Modest Mouse, Built To Spill, Big Star, Ghostface Killah, Belle & Sebastian, Beck, The Smiths, The Replacements, MIA, Led Zeppelin . . . ooh, I’m rambling again)


What is your musical guilty pleasure?

Alex:
Lady GaGa. Enough said.

Brian:

I don’t really believe in feeling guilty about liking any type of music, but since you ask . . .I’ve listened to “Ignition (Remix)” by R. Kelly probably 45 times . . . this month.


What do you think is the most overrated or underrated album of this year?


Alex:
This is overrated.

Brian:
Overrated: Bitte Orca-Dirty Projectors. It’s good, but not that good.

Underrated: Signal Morning-Circulatory System. Why isn’t anyone talking about this? It’s fantastic! It was worth the eight year wait.

No comments: