Nov 4, 2009

NEW RELEASE RUNDOWN

Alright, boy and girls (or should I say ladies and gents?), the time has come for me to gush about my favorite new releases for the week. Here they are:

King Khan & BBQ Show, Invisible Girl
I love me some King Khan. I love him with The Shrines and with his newest project, The Almighty Defenders, but this album is his newest with BBQ Show (aka- Mark Sultan). I'm not sure which of King Khan's projects I like best because all of them are a little different. When he's with The Shrines, it's loud, flashy, old-school funk; with The Almight Defenders it's punk-spiked, garage-rock/gospel (if you haven't heard this album, it's the best), but with BBQ Show the music is a little more toned down. There's still the old-fashioned feel to his music, it's still rockin', but it's not quite as "in your face" as his other projects. I'm actually listening to it for the first time as I type this, so I don't have a full listen as of yet, but I love what I'm hearing so far, which is no surprise to me. I will tell you that the track titled "Tastebuds" is a little, ahem, X-rated, so, um, watch out for that one.

Cold Cave, Love Comes Close
I've seen this album cover too many times to count or even recall the places I've seen it. When we got our promo in I immediately had to listen to it. I had read a brief description of the album, which peaked my interested even more. Here's that description: "Debut full-lenth from Philly/New York quartet. The warm, rich synth pop sounds are laced with equal measures of romance and nihilism. Somehwere in these relams of negative hiss and out-of-body bliss, there is a peak awaiting all who enter." Does that not make you interested? Does it not?! Well, maybe it doesn't, but it did interest ME. It's pretty much exactly what you would expect from that description, but only REALLY good. Well, if you're into synthesizers and sort of dramatic-sounding pop music. I chatted with a friend about this album and we both concluded that they sound like a mix between New Order and Joy Division. This album sort of feels like a guilty pleasure- I think it's because it makes me want to dance really hard- but it totally isn't.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

King Khan projects? What about Tandoori Knights? When his travelling show comes to town you can pick up the Tandoori Knights record featuring Khan and Bloodshot Bill.

Vanessa said...

I don't know anything about Tandoori Knights! I also don't know who Bloodshot Bill is...

Please expand my music knowledge!

Anonymous said...

Bloodshot Bill is a notoriously frenzied Montreal singer who performs regularly in the Montreal area. During this KK&BBQS tour, they are selling this record along with their Invisible Girl record, t-shirts and things.

Vanessa said...

Frenzied? I like that. I hope that they stop here if they tour...they usually do. I'll have to check that out. Thanks, dude!