Nov 13, 2009

THIS WEEKEND'S LIVE PICKS

This is the sort of weekend that causes me to smile devilishly and snicker at the thought of how lucky I am to get to see so many awesome bands live. I'm not going to miss out on any of these shows because I'm tired- not this week! I've spent the entire week resting up and going to bed before 10 pm. I'm ready for the weekend! Here's the shows I'm going to check out:


SLUG Localized
Featuring: Aye Aye, Sleepover, & The Kidneys

TONIGHT! Friday, November 13th (eek!) @ Urban Lounge, $5

I can't remember the last time I've been to a SLUG Localized show, but not because I haven't wanted to. It's more due to the fact that I used to work virtually every Friday night, but not these days (woo!). Tonight features three bands that I'm equally excited to see for different reasons. I haven't seen Aye Aye play in a long time and I'm looking forward to seeing how the music has changed since they've accumulated more members. I have yet to hear any music from Sleepover or The Kidneys, so I'm anxious to hear local musicians that are totally new to me.

Fanfarlo
Saturday, November 14th @ The State Room, $11*

I've been loving this band's album, Resevoir, since it came out a few weeks back. If you haven't checked it out, get down to the store before tomorrow night and have a listen. I personally think they sound like a more mellow, softer version of Arcade Fire, which I like. I'm really excited to see this band live and it will also be my first time visiting The State Room, which I've heard really wonderful things about.

Also, this is cool...



Old Canes
w/ Spooky Moon
Sunday, November 15th @ Kilby Court, $7

Old Canes is Chris Crisci's (of Appleseed Cast) side project, which also features members of Minus Story and other well-known, Lawrence, KS based bands. Honestly, I never even knew Old Canes existed until this second record came out a couple weeks ago. I had to have a listen once I read about the collection of artists that make up the band and that they are on the Saddle Creek label. This album is full and loud folk rock at it's best. Listen to Feral Harmonic and try to tell me it doesn't move you in some way. Don't miss the local opener, Spooky Moon, which is also a side-project of The Lionelle's Tate Law. I hope there's a fire going again this week...maybe snow, too...

If I wasn't convincing enough, check out this stereogum article/interview!

This is not the weekend to be a recluse- get out and see some shows!

No comments: