Mar 10, 2010

NEW RELEASE RUNDOWN

White Hinterland, Kairos
*Chris, Anna and Vanessa's pick of the week!
I'll admit that I always liked White Hinterland's music, but this album? Boy, oh boy does this album make my feelings about their music turn from like to love. Kairos is to White Hinterland as Teen Dream is to Beach House- an album that is evidence of a band at the top of it's game, an album that is so tight and perfect in every way. This is a dreamy, washed-out, R & B gem of an album.

This is my personal favorite song on the album:


Liars, Sisterworld
I have yet to hear a this album all the way through, but I have heard/seen this:



...I have a feeling I'm going to like the new album.

jj, no 3
Swedish band, jj, is a slightly more complex and happier version of English band, the xx. Both bands are united with their music's R & B influence, but whereas the xx's music maintains a dark and somber tone, jj's sound is a bit more dreamy and upbeat.

The following song is the first track off their new album and is about as awesome as any old school R & B song I've ever heard:



The Morning Benders, Big Echo
I'm not sure how this band managed to slip under my radar until now, but they were unknown to me until we received the promo for Big Echo. The album is co-produced by vocalist Christopher Chu and Christopher Taylor- Grizzly Bear's amazing drummer (who is clearly also capable of producing a quality record). The blurb on the back of the promo says "Big Echo is an album made to be played loud" and it's the truth. This is yet another album you can throw in the indie-pop genre, but unlike most, it's not one that will fall to the bottom of your pile. Christopher Chu's voice is something special- unique and different, but not in a way that grows on you- in a way that you immediately find to be loveable and instantly appealing. The same thing goes for the music on this album. It's an album that makes you a loyal and devoted fan after just one listen.


Other equally awesome stuff that came out this week, but I didn't have time to talk about:

The Besnard Lakes, The Besnard Lakes Are The Roaring Night
Gorillaz, Plastic Beach
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Beat The Devil's Tattoo
Frightened Rabbit, Winter of Mixed Drinks
Ted Leo And The Pharmacists, The Brutalist Bricks
Titus Andronicus, The Monitor
We Were Promised Jetpacks, The Last Place You'll Look EP
Jason Collett, Rat A Tat Tat

No comments: