Mar 22, 2010

THIS WEEK'S LIVE PICKS

Wednesday, March 24th:
THE DUTCHESS AND THE DUKE
w/ The Moondoggies
@ The State Room, $11

I've already seen both these bands in the past few months, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm still excited about this show- I wouldn't miss any opportunity to see either of these artists. Dutchess and the Duke's dark, yet catchy punk-folk tunes accompanied by The Moondoggies Americana inspired folk rock? Yes, please!

THE NAKED EYES, BLUEBIRD RADIO, THE MALDIVES
@ Bar Deluxe

I might actually have to sneak away from The State Room for a bit to catch some of this show. First off, I can't remember the last time I saw Bluebird Radio, which needs to change. Secondly, I'm sort of obsessed with The Naked Eyes- their music reminds me of a cross between The Black Keys and Black Mountain. Those boys put on a good show no matter where or when you see them. As for The Maldives, I don't know much about them, but they've come highly recommended from a trustworthy source- Trever from Band of Annuals has been talkin' them up for quite some time now.

Friday, March 26th:
XIU XIU
w/ tUnE-yArDs
@ Urban Lounge, $16

I'll admit that Xiu Xiu is one of those bands that I'm virtually clueless about. Everyone seems to use the same adjectives when describing Xiu Xiu's sound- weird, dark, intense- and everyone is always encouraging me to listen to them. I'll admit I'm intrigued, especially after reading the review for their newest album via SLUG magazine. I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about this weekend.

Sunday, March 28th:
CUSTOMER APPRECIATION PARTY! (you must be on our email list to attend)
@ Slowtrain/Slowtrain's Subterranean

I hope that all you lovely people are including this event in your Sunday afternoon plans. We invite you, our loyal customers, to the shop for a special lil' party. There will be lots of things to eat and drink, plus a special solo performance from Laura Gibson! The party is free for you to enjoy, but we definitely encourage people to contribute a treat or two! I'm pretty sure I'll be making some sort of delicious baked good (I'm open to suggestions). The party runs from 4:30 - 5:30 pm, afterwards we will open the up to the public for the special performance detailed below...

LAURA GIBSON & ETHAN ROSE
@ Slowtrain's Subterranean, $5

This is going to be a rare and intimate performance with Laura Gibson and Ethan Rose, who will be performing material from their recent collaboration, titled Bridge Carols. If you have yet to hear anything from their work together, I highly encourage you to check it out and make plans to attend this show- the music is delicate and sparse, gauzy and ethereal- absolutely perfect for a lazy, sunny (hopefully) Sunday afternoon. Tickets for this show can be purchased in advance at the store for $5 or online for $7. If you're a procrastinator like me, we will most likely be selling tickets during our Customer Appreciation Party, as well.

Click here to stream the album in it's entirety.

No comments: