Apr 5, 2010

THIS WEEK'S LIVE PICKS

Whoa, whoa, WHOA. This week there is a never-ending string of great bands to see. I am both thrilled and terrified about how going out every night this week will affect my life, but I'm hoping for the best and stocking up on coffee...

Tonight, April 5th:
DEAD MEADOW
w/ Imaad Wasif & The Naked Eyes
@ Urban Lounge, $11

I've never seen Dead Meadow or Imaad Wasif, so I'm looking forward to seeing them. I'll probably never get tired of seeing the The Naked Eyes live, either.

THE MORNING BENDERS
w/ Desert Noises
@ Velour, $11

If it were under different circumstances (not so shitty weather) I probably would've driven to Provo to see these guys. Big Echo has been one of my most played albums over the past few weeks and I would love to see their live show. Chris and Anna saw them at SXSW and said they were great...I guess I'll have to count on my friends that are going to report back with show highlights.

Tuesday, April 6th
LITTLE DRAGON
w/ VV Brown
@ Urban Lounge, $11

A friend mentioned Little Dragon to me a few months back and it wasn't until a month ago that I actually checked them out. They're an electro-pop outfit from Sweden, who will probably become fairly well known for their contribution on the newest Gorillaz album, Plastic Beach. Machine Dreams is the only Little Dragon album I'm familiar with and I became pretty infatuated with it for a couple weeks...I mean, anything that sounds like 80's pop (synthesizers included) will always suck me in.



Wednesday, April 7th
SPOON
w/ Deerhunter & Micachu and the Shapes
@ In the Venue, $26

What seemed like an interesting lineup at first, has now become a show that I am ridiculously excited for. Deerhunter was my original reason for buying a ticket- I will openly admit that I have a deep and intense admiration for Bradord Cox and anything he creates musically. However, this was before Spoon's new album hit the street. Now that I've heard their new record, which is fantastic, I've found myself pretty excited to see Spoon, too. These are the two songs I hope to hear live:





Friday, April 9th
KING KHAN & THE SHRINES
w/ The Fresh and Onlys & The Rubes
@ Urban Lounge

Oh dear, sweet King Khan, what wonderful musical memories you have brought into my life. Whether he's performing with The Shrines or BBQ Show, King Khan knows how to put on a live show that you won't soon forget. In fact, I'm still thinking about the band's performance at Sasquatch! last year...it was, well, interesting to say the least. Put on your most ridiculous outfit (or at least your dancing shoes) and prepare for a wild night.

Saturday, April 10th
MIIKE SNOW
w/ Delorean
@ Urban Lounge

So much electro-pop, so little time. Miike Snow is yet another Swedish electro-pop band who got their start producing and writing for the likes of Kylie Minogue and Britney Spears. Don't let that fact scare you away- these guys make a brand of pop music that you can actually feel okay about liking. Hailing from Spain, Delorean reminds me of a Spanish version of The Tough Alliance. It also doesn't hurt that they're on the True Panther Sounds record label, the same label that put out Girls' Album- in my eyes, TPS can really do no wrong.



No comments: