Apr 26, 2010

THIS WEEK'S LIVE PICKS

Tuesday, April 27th
RED SPAROWES
w/ Doomriders
@ Urban Lounge, $11

It was only recently that I was introduced to Red Sparowes via my roommate and word of mouth from a few customers. The band was described to me as being a harder and heavier version of Explosions in the Sky, which I somewhat agree with. Yes, Red Sparowes makes instrumental rock music and yes, they are a little darker and more metal than Explosions, but there's something more to them beyond those two facts. Red Sparowes music flows and swells in a way that is much more epic and moving than any other instrumental rock band I've heard.



Sunday, May 2nd
SHEARWATER
w/ Wye Oak & Hospital Ships
@ The State Room, $11

I promise you this show will be so worth your hard earned $11. Lawrence, KS based (yay!) Hospital Ships is the side-project of Minus Story frontman Jordan Geiger. Their debut album Oh, Ramona was one of my very favorite albums of 2008. Andy Stack and Jenn Wasner make up the duo behind Wye Oak and they are one of the most impressive live bands I've seen awhile. They played an in-store with us last time they were in town and I was totally blown away- in my opinion, their music is powerful and meant to be experienced live. Their 2009 release The Knot made Chris, Anna and I's year-end lists, too. As for Shearwater, I'm not as familiar with them as Chris and Anna (who RAVE about them) and I've never seen them live, but I'm looking forward to seeing them at the State Room where I can sit and fully absorb their beautiful and epic songs.






Planning on going to the show? Well, we're running a sweet deal right now: bring in your ticket to this show or show us that you purchased one online and we'll give you 20% off your purchase (excluding local items or any items already on sale).

No comments: