Jun 24, 2010

THIS WEEKEND IN SLC

It struck me today that I'm going to have to legitimately plan out my weekend if I want to take advantage of all the awesome events that are happening, therefore I'm going to buy a planner after work. Seriously, though...I am.


UTAH ARTS FESTIVAL
Thursday, June 24th - Sunday, June 27th

I don't even know where to start when writing about this festival. It goes without saying that there is a whole lot to see and do. This is where I link to their website and you then (hopefully) dig around and find more than a few things that peak your interest...

SRI WHIPPLE BENEFIT SHOW
featuring Vile Blue Shades, Birthquake and Chase One Two
@ Urban Lounge
Friday, June 25th

Within the first few months of moving to SLC I'd already heard Sri Whipple's name around town as being one of the most interesting and talented artists in the community. His work is unmistakable and amazing in so many ways. Sri was attacked and severly beaten this past May and, as a result of being a full-time artist, has no health insurance to help him pay for the medical expenses incurred as a result of the attack. The cover charge for this benefit show (which I have yet to find out, my guess is $7-$10) will be donated to help pay his medical bills. As a twenty-something with no health insurance I can't imagine having a burden like this. Not 21+ or just can't make it to the show? Visit www.isupportsri.com and make a direct donation to him there.

SLOPPY SUMMER SCHMORGESBORG
featuring Big Sky Tribunal, Bluebird Radio, Lake Mary and many more!
@ Kilby Court
Saturday, June 27th

This event is evidence that the Salt Lake City Film Festival puts the "fun" in fundraising. Yes, I said it because it's true. Grub and tunes? All day? Um, who wouldn't want to go? It's just $5 to be entertained from 12- 6 pm. Get yer bod on your bike, peddle down to Kilby and enjoy your Saturday knowing that, in some small way, you helped make this year's SLCFF happen. Don't ask questions. Just do it.

HOUSE SHOW
featuring David Williams, The Awful Truth, Libbie Linton and Maribelle
@ 427 1st Ave #1
Saturday, June 27th

Brent from The Awful Truth sure was right when he said "Salt Lake just doesn't have enough house shows". It's the damn truth, people. Hopefully, this will be the first of many house shows to come, but it's doubtful. Which is why you should go! Three of my favorite local solo artists are playing, plus Chi-town band, Maribelle. Music starts at 7 pm- bring some monies to donate. Yes, even $1 and a fistful of change is better than nothing.

1 comment:

Kayla Porter said...

Birthquake is not playing the benefit show anymore, but they are playing at the arts fest on sunday