Oct 4, 2010

THIS WEEK'S LIVE PICKS

El Ten Eleven & Dosh
w/ Baths
@ Urban Lounge, $11
Monday, October 4th

The last time I saw Dosh it was pretty fantastic, but I'll be honest when I say that I am going to this show specifically to see Baths. No offense to the other artists on the bill, but Baths debut album, Cerulean, is one of the most exciting records I've heard in a long while. I'd stay for the entire night's lineup, but after Baths' set I plan on scampering (yes, scampering) over to the Woodshed for Ty Segall.

Ty Segall
w/ ???
@ The Woodshed, $???
Monday, October 4th

There are so few details available surrounding this show that I don't really have much information to share. I have no idea if there are opening bands or not and I have no idea what the cover is. Normally this lack of information would make me mad, but honestly, I'm just happy to have the opportunity to see Mr. Segall live. He was supposed to play here about month ago, but the show was randomly cancelled. If you like the noisy, lo-fi garage rock genre, then you MUST go to this show- Ty Segall is the cream of the crop.

Surfer Blood
w/ The Drums & The Dewars
@ Urban Lounge, $12
Friday, October 8th

Surfer Blood became a bit of an overnight sensation when their album, Astro Coast, debuted in January. Their surf pop sound is just about what you might expect from native Floridians- playful, catchy and energetic. The Drums also fit this genre, but have a bit more of a retro feel to their sound. This will be a fun show and just might make your summer feel like it's lasting a bit longer, if only for a few hours.

No comments: