Dec 9, 2010

VAN'S $9.99 GIFT GUIDE- Part 1

I thought I'd offer up some gift suggestions from our wide assortment of $9.99 titles, so here's a few titles that I really love that might make a perfect gift for someone this holiday season:

For someone who loves The Cure, The Smiths, New Order or Joy Division:

Abe Vigoda, Crush
Listening to Crush, you would never imagine it to be an Abe Vigoda album. They've abandoned their bright pop punk they created on their first album, Skeleton, and have moved towards a darker 80's goth pop sound. A surprising, but welcome direction from this band.

Twin Shadow, Forget
After hearing months of hype, I finally succumbed to the sounds of Twin Shadow. I heard the song "Slow" and thought it was fantastic- when he sings "I don't wanna believe or be in love" in the chorus? SO GOOD. This album reminds me of a mix between The Cure and Toro Y Moi.

For anyone that loves heartbreaking and sweet songs:

Girls, Broken Dreams Club
Finally, new music from one of my very favorite bands! This six song EP has been on rotation non-stop for me since it came out. Broken Dreams Club has a more polished and fuller sound than their debut, but the warmth from Christopher Owens' songs and voice make this record just as perfect as their full-length. Check out a song from the album here.

For someone who loves retro sounding soul and funk:

Various Artists, Daptone Gold
I am in love with the Daptone record label. This compilation features 23 tracks from various artists on their label including Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, Lee Fields, The Budos Band and Antibalas.


No comments: